Guided Tours & Group Visits
While the majority of our visitors self-guide through our exhibitions, some avail of our free scheduled public tours on Wednesdays at 1 P.M. and Sundays at 3 and 4 P.M. Please note that these tours are on a first-come, first served basis and are restricted to 15 visitors per tour.
Please note: from 1 May 2017, days and times of free guided tours will be:
1pm on Wednesdays, 2pm on Saturdays and 3pm on Sundays.
Should you require a guided tour for your group on a particular date, you can apply here:
Apply for a Guided Tour >>
- As our tour guides are volunteers and not employees of the Library, we require three weeks advance notification in writing to book a guide. However, we will try to accommodate your request at shorter notice if possible.
- Guided tours are limited to 15 maximum people per tour, if your group is larger, it can be split into 2 groups as required.
- Fees: Primary & Secondary schools/Special Needs Groups – free of charge; Adult Groups at €3.00 per person; OAPs/Adult Education/Third Level Groups/Language Schools at €2.00 per person;
- Tours last approximately 1 hour from the scheduled booked time of the tour. Please be punctual as guides are booked for 1 hour duration.
- On your arrival to the Library, please announce your group at the reception desk. Your guide will meet you there to commence the tour.
- Groups must be supervised in the Chester Beatty Library and Dublin Castle grounds at all times.
- Please note: Cancellation fees apply: 1 group at €50, 2 groups at €100 will be charged for failure to give 24 hours advance notice of cancellations. To cancel your appointment, please contact the main Library number on 01 4070750 and select 0 to speak to an operator.
- Special note for schools: the Library does not provide space for eating lunches. There is a café within the museum for the general public.
For Groups Visiting the Library
If your group is larger than 20 people and you do not wish to avail of a guided tour, please notify us of your impending visit by completing this form
or by phoning 01 4070772.
In the busy summer months, the galleries can get quite crowded and prior notification would assist us in making the visit an enjoyable one for all our visitors.
Please be advised that 1 chaperone per 15 students/children is required.